I hearken to my music utilizing a wired set of Sonos
One audio system. Final week I upgraded my wifi by putting in a Netgear Orbi Wifi Mesh. After doing this my Sonos
system not labored correctly. After a lot looking I managed to search out the
downside, and it was a easy repair. So I assumed I might share my story in case
others run into an analogous downside.
I have been very proud of my Sonos system, it delivers music across the
home, with solely occasional issues. My setup is 5 Sonos One audio system,
organized into three zones. I’ve set it up as a wired system, which means that
one of many audio system is wired into the community with a cable. When Sonos is
arrange like this, the audio system create their very own wifi community, impartial of
every other wifi community within the constructing. They use a customized protocol for this,
one which apparently higher fits music streaming. It additionally would not combat for
bandwidth with the primary wifi. Nearly all of the music I play is purchased, saved
on my home Ubuntu server, which makes use of samba to make it accessible to the Sonos.
My wifi was a 2012 classic apple airport specific. It too has labored
nicely, however latest modifications led to a few areas of adverse reception.
Trying across the web, I discovered good opinions for the Netgear Orbi
system, so I picked one up.
The preliminary set up went nice. I powered down the airport specific,
and put in the Orbi utilizing the identical community identify and password. Varied
units in the home communicated nice with the brand new community. Hassle reared
its head once I went downstairs for a whiskey and tried to placed on some music.
The Sonos gamers couldn’t discover my music on the server any extra.
I went again upstairs to my workplace and performed round with the system,
utilizing the first troubleshooting methodology of any electrical programs
specialist – switching every little thing on and off. This fastened the issue, the
Sonos app on my laptop computer (which can be a desktop since its wired into the
community and a giant display screen) confirmed me the entire system, my music, and gladly
performed issues. Again right down to my comfortable chair and Ledaig.
However now I bumped into one other downside to maintain me away from the wee dram. The
Sonos app on my iPhone could not see any of my Sonos audio system. As an alternative I obtained
a message saying it could not discover my system “let’s repair it”. Their fixing
options resulted in rather more energy biking and urgent of
buttons – however nothing labored. I might management and play music usually from
my desktop, however my different units had been blind. I do not wish to must go
upstairs every time I wish to management my music, and this isn’t tenable for my
spouse. I hypothesized that there was some cache on the ios apps that holding
onto the outdated wifi in some way, perhaps being too intelligent and thus confused by a
totally different gadget regardless that the community identify was the identical. However by now it
was late at night time and I used to be caught in that bind the place I am unable to sleep for
fascinated about the issue, however my drained mind was extra more likely to make
errors than progress.
After I returned to the issue the next day, I did not have any new
concepts, however I attempted some issues to assemble extra info. Considered one of these led
to the breakthrough. Following the “it is a cache” speculation I attempted to
set up the Sonos controller software program on a contemporary gadget, this time an outdated laptop computer. It failed
to see the audio system, thus pouring chilly water on the shaky cache concept. However whereas I
was doing this I seemed on the community connection and noticed the laptop computer had an
IP tackle of 10.0.0.8. This was important, IP addresses on my house
community are given by my router that runs DHCP, which fingers out IP
addresses within the 192.168.1 vary. I did a little bit of pinging and located this laptop computer
might ping my server and my audio system, however my server could not ping the laptop computer.
The scenario was settled by googling “Orbi dhcp”. I found that
sometimes the Orbi is configured in router mode, the place the orbi runs its personal
DHCP server . Since I have already got a router I
wanted to vary the orbi over to entry level mode. The process for doing
so was finicky: involving an additional community cable, logging into the orbi as
admin, and the at all times scary “superior settings” tab. However I discovered that
Netgear had some clear
directions. As soon as my Orbi restarted in entry level mode, every little thing